Monday, June 30, 2008

great fangirls in history

Remember the '80's? Yeah, me neither. Anyway, once upon a time, Stephen Pastel of Scotland's the Pastels was all like, "please don't think of us as an 'indie band' as it was never meant to be a genre, and anyway we are far too outward looking for that sad tag." He pretty much only said this because he was kind of a cutie and he was just trying to be modest and unassuming or not an asshole or some shit like that. Don't believe me? Try and look past his haircut to see that sweet smile of his in this video from 1987, "Coming Through".



But don't take my word for it. Check out this delightful little number written in his honor, "Throw Aggi Off the Bridge" from Black Tambourine, ladled into your bowl from the primordial soup of the early nineties.



As you may have guessed by now, "Aggi" was Stephen Pastel's ladyfriend and bassist (smart movie Aggi. When you land a hot piece like that, make sure you're in his band no matter what) and singer Pam Berry of Black Tambourine was not pleased. Black Tambourine, despite recording a mere ten songs influenced a generation of American indie rockers, or at least that's what their wikipedia says. To my knowledge, they are important enough for the Aislers Set to reference them and that's good enough for me. I discovered them in 2004 and they gave me all the encouragement I didn't need to become the homewrecking hussy you know and love today.

If you want some extra credit, you can listen to my favoritest Black Tambourine song, "Black Car" here on the Slumberland Records website. Yeah, there's a lot of history today, but come on. It's Monday. COME ON.

1 comment:

'stina said...

Nice font, asshole.