Friday, October 3, 2008

one trick pony: someone to keep us warm

You aren't imagining things. I have been rather neglectful of my blogging duties as of late. I wish that I had a litany of excuses, each more fantastic than the last, with which to excuse my gross misconduct. However, I have only the simple and the mundane. I have just begun a new term at the university and I find myself suddenly weighted down with countless volumes and every other day embarking on a railway journey. I spend my school days dodging evangelical Christians and attempting to circumvent as much fratty bullshit as possible. Seriously, dudes dragged their fucking couches into the middle of walkways so they could sit around yelling. Makes me want to start my own club. I'll call it the obstructing walkways club. Gonna yell about whatever I feel like.

On my train home last night, I managed to get a window seat. I like to get a seat by the window and then just sit there and read. It's a habit related to my love for sitting in the left handed seats of lecture halls although I am right handed. It makes me feel I'm getting a little something extra for my money.

So I sat reading, with my pod on of course. Don't need no stinking outside world. Shuffle was hitting all the right spots, as it sometimes does, but it really knocked it out of the park with this one:



It was the right song at the right moment. The song is called "Someone to Keep Us Warm" by a group from Detroit called the Silent Years. They did a pretty rad Daytrotter Session a couple weeks ago in addition to one they did last April. If they were coming to California any time soon I would bring two friends and they'd bring two friends and so on and so on but alas, we'll just have to wait a little bit longer.

I really like the lyrics in this song, especially the first line. It reminds me of the part in The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle when the woman asks him to just hold her to charge her batteries. It can feel that way sometimes, not that I would know anything about that. I am colder than a Russian winter. That's cold enough to defeat Napoleon AND Hitler, in case you were keeping score. But this song sort of reminds me of what it used to feel like to have emotions. It has a sweetness to it, a warmth that at a closer proximity might affect my polar ice caps.

Who am I kidding? I tear up during previews for movies that look like they'll make me cry. The moral of the story is: download the daytrotter sessions, buy their new album and find someone to keep you warm, even if it is just your kitty.

Stay classy San Diego.
megan elizabeth

2 comments:

Nolan said...

This post was slightly more emotional than i'm accustomed to seeing from the Ponies.

What're you reading?

megan elizabeth said...

Things Fall Apart and Isaac Newton's Opticks, but that's just this weekend. In the past week I also read Samuel Pepys' diary and Sprat's History of the Royal Society.

Basically my eyes are going to fall out.