Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gabe Vega, if I put a quarter in your mouth will you play something I want to hear?

I haven't bitched about Dirty Mondays in a while, so it's about time. Last week Gabe Vega played a song by The Virgins (I think it was "Rich Girls," which is especially fitting because Jenni and I watch Gossip Girl before we go) and this week he played "Heartbeats" by The Knife. And like, other songs, but those are ones I like. I always try to remind myself to throw less of a shit fit because whatever he plays is better than some dickbag picking three hours worth of reggae on the jukebox but what can I say? I'm picky AND I have a sense of entitlement. Sound familiar?

Wednesday, homeboy's DJing over at the Belly Up and looks like I'm gonna go. Shit's free, and is being billed as "The Most Interesting Show in The World." Apparently, there is going to be all kinds of ass-backwards shenanigans like acrobats, fire-jugglers, Russian dancing and French burlesque singing followed by some band that probably sucks because they list their influences as being bands I like yet sound nothing like any of them, followed by Vega tearin' it up. Or maybe not, it is the Belly Up, after all. How the fuck do you DJ for the Matlock crowd? Three hours of Yanni? As far as next Monday, I'd like to hear the Trentemoller remix of Royksopp's "What Else is There:"


and the MSTRKRFT remix of Metric's "Monster Hospital:"



If someone feels like going out on a limb earlier in the night, Wolf Parade's "Disco Sheets:"



I love that video because it's not really for the song but is about gay clubs in London. Even the gays love the Krug! It's good and danceable!

In addition to hearing a song I like, our fun-sized asian lavaaaaah, Mac, gave me a purseful of stuff from the Lou's free giveaways box, which apparently consists of a bunch of faggy bullshit nobody wants. I didn't walk into the place thinking some hot guy that has 40 crates of records at home with his cat would just hand me a Jawbreaker box set but it's the equivalent of me handing out tiny gift-with-purchase tubes of bacne scrub and being like "HAI LOOK I GOTS U A PRESENT!" *coughGIFTCARDRAFFLEcough* He's my new favorite for trying, though. The one freebie I will gloat about is the best keychain that does not open bottles or shoot fire in the entire world. It's so cool I can't even tell you what it is, I just have to hit you in the face with it. He picked out rap-related shit so I could talk some big game about these dudes having "weak beats" but one of the fliers was for this cracka-ass-bitch that is putting a record out tomorrow and one of the guests on the album is Keak Da Sneak. I don't think I've ever talked about how much we like getting hyphy. HOLY SHIT. Here are a few of my fav. hyphy videos:

Sideshow:


Ghost Ride It:


Tell Me When to Go:


Shake them dreads,

'stina

No comments: